Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Perfection - or Forgiven. What are you aiming for?


I remember getting ready to stand up before a group of maybe 2000 people to preach at a pastor friend’s church when I had a brief talk with God.  It hadn’t been a great week. My relationship with the Lord still had an unhealthy component of “do” in those days. It’s one thing to have a crummy week all by your self.  It’s another thing to crash and burn in front of a large group of people that expect you to tell them what God has to say to them.

A minute before I was to preach I simply said “God I’m sorry I’m not perfect”.  It was a heartfelt comment with a slight spin. 

He & I both knew no one would confuse me with perfection, especially “that” week. 

Though I meant it, I probably wanted to show contrition so He wouldn’t let me crash and burn in front of all those people.

I was not prepared for the quick fireside chat I encountered at that moment.  I heard the Lord speak in my spirit “So you’re saying that your perfection is better than the Blood of Jesus?”  No Lord that’s not what I meant.  Instantly I heard Him say “That’s exactly what you said”. 

My dad was a very hard working, extremely gentle Irishman. I have long said my dad wasn’t perfect, but he was the perfect dad for me.  I remember feeling that day as if God was speaking those same words over me.

In my short chat with my heavenly dad that day before preaching I realized an important truth regarding my relationship with God…..

 I would rather be forgiven than self-righteously perfect any day.

Growing in Grace I have realized my heavenly father isn’t being patient with me, He IS patient.  He can’t be any other way. 

That’s not trivial semantics.  Even the most patient person (like my natural dad) can at times loose their patience – but not God!  He does not want me fearing I am disappointing Him.  You may be disappointed when your restaurant meal doesn’t meet your expectations, but how can the God who knows everything ever be disappointed by unfulfilled expectations?  He always knows exactly what He’s going to get.

I have also come to realize forgiveness isn’t something I have to request daily.  I received His complete forgiveness the day I accepted Jesus Christ because Jesus paid the complete penalty for my sin (past, present, future)

The chat with my heavenly father that day has brought such freedom in my relationship with Jesus.  I no longer help the devil beat me up with condemnation.  I don’t call myself condescending names when I have a bad day anymore

I get it now……

It really is finished.

I hope you throw yourself at the mercy of God and find Grace to help in your time of need (He.4:16).

He really is just that in to you.

4 comments:

  1. "therefore now there is no condemnation for those that are in Christ Jesus." -romans 8:1

    awesome that you blogged this!! i've been learning and living under the same things lately... so amazing to be freed isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was truly lead to this by God! I found you in my new followers on Twitter and decided to check out your site while deciding whether to "follow back" ;-) This battle of trying to be perfect for God has been raging in me for several weeks now....more so than normal! I feel like God just spoke to me through you! I am forgiven! It is finished! And no one has helped the devil beat me up more than me...but now I see that's what I've done!The blood of Jesus is perfection and all I need! I am so glad you found me~God Bless you!!

    PS~ I think I'll follow you on Twitter ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, you bless me. There are only a few men on this planet that, when they say something, they say something I can hear. You are one of only a few with this quality and I love you for that. By the way, as a student, I listen to many, but I hear only a few and the ones I hear, I think, are the ones carrying Jesus' voice to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow David, I am humbled by your comment. Thank you so much. God bless you my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Happy Father's Day Paul! We Love You! -The Team at THE WELL